Saturday, February 19, 2011

good 'ol spike


Treasures are found in the strangest places. My daughter's swim group had a table with a lot of books sitting on it.... taking the lead I gathered they were complimentary for people to take one or two or even three. So I took four. This is one of said collection. Very happy indeed.

"The Compulsive Spike Milligan" was sitting there and I have not read a lot of his works but this was a great find.

Here is just one of his gems...

The Butterfly


This evening in the twilights' gloom
A butterfly flew in my room
Oh what beauty, oh what grace
Who needs visitors from out of space?


(from 1984, Spike's bedroom in Monkenhurst)


'til next time, enjoy spike more often. xop

1 comment:

wendie-k said...

A couple of my favourite quotes:

"For history as far as I can see is not the arrangement of what happens, in sequence, and in truth, but a fabulous arrangement of surmises and guesses held up as a banner against the assault of withering truth"...

Sebastian Barry

and

"It was the best of times it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us ...."

Charles Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities".